Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Game C1 : Blood Omen - Crushing my Soul

First of all, sorry about the slow posting. I've been away from my keyboard for a few days for health matters which are solved right now. So I'm back in the game!

Being in the hospital didn't delay my Blood Omen playthrough, though. I switched the game on my PSP, and kept on playing. However, I'm really starting to doubt of my ability to finish this game...

I'm utterly stuck right now. I've been to a lot of places, gaining new powers, securing access to the Soul Reaver, which I can only imagine is the best sword of the game, considering it's the name of the direct sequel (and considering it's a badass sword). I have really gained in experience, life and magic bars and so forth (and finally changing my status from "Whelp" to "Gimp"... way to make me feel better, thanks)

My major problem is that I think I experienced some kind of a bug that prevents me from going any further. I've seen a huge graphical glitch after visiting a village, basically turning the whole game into some kind of pixel vomit. I went to save anyway, but curiously all the areas I crossed while the glitch was going on had its doors closed, with (apparently) no way of getting them opened again...

Then again, I'm not sure about it, but the doubt is lurking in the shadow right now : have I made the game unwinnable? It's definitely a possibility when I see the lack of polish the overall experience had shown so far...

So, right now, I'm roughly 10 hours in, and I'm wondering if I should start the whole thing again. My first playthrough is now a total waste, though, considering I'm more familiar with the whole game mechanics, I know where things are, and so forth, but I'm really doubting I want to slog through a few areas another time...

On one side, I'd really like to just put a (harsh) COWARD rating on this game and skip to Resident Evil 2, on the other side, experiencing failure to complete a game so soon in the course of this blog is a bit humiliating... I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for the gaming woes here, but I'm glad you're feeling better.

    A note on your poll above: I would've surely voted for Resident Evil, but as I plan on doing a blind playthrough of those games soon, I won't read those entries until I'm done... whenever that is. I'm just surprised that nobody voted for RE. Yet, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is any humiliation in quitting a game due to technical issues. It's a bit different to saying "I'm really struggling to get anywhere in Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle! It's just so incredibly long and the AI is brutal!"

    That being said, I totally understand your dilemma and am fortunate that I'm playing adventure games rather than RPGs. Starting again is not the end of the world in adventure games, but it can be pretty drastic in action and rpgs.

    You simply have to watch this video in it's entirety!
    http://www.maniacworld.com/easiest-game-of-all-time.html

    I hope you've recovered from whatever health issues you've had Alfred!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support about the health issues, don't worry about it, it just gives me more time to focus on gaming instead of work for a few weeks ;) Painkiller can make writing a bit difficult sometimes, though, so don't hesitate to tell me when I'm really not making any sense ;)

    The Smurf video is awesome! Makes me wonder why I didn't choose this kind of series first, to get a bit of training ;)

    ReplyDelete